Fracking Dangers and Threats
Ever since its inception in the 1980′s, fracking has been considered the most effective way to extract natural gas by pumping chemically laden mixtures of water and sand into shale or underground sedimentary rock formations. It has also been a subject to so much ridicule and met by numerous protests from concerned environmentalists and constant campaigns for alternative natural gas sources.
With class actions and litigations filed in federal courts and endless debates of whether to continue or discontinue this harmful process more and more inquiries have popped up regarding the efficiency of its existence. The controversial energy companies have been plagued by more questions which led to discovering more of its advantages and disadvantages on people and Mother Nature.
Most of the lawsuits contain a great selection of legal theories so the claimants can file a legal case against these drilling companies and eventually ask them to compensate for the threats given to their health and environment. Government studies and scientists are studying the connection between the dangerous procedure and its considerable positive and negative effects to the environment to prove the claim of the lawsuits and its plaintiffs. However, despite the ongoing study affected plaintiffs have chosen not to wait on the results of their studies and experiments to file a class action to prove that the dangers of fracking has greatly affected them one way or another and requires immediate action from the companies concerned.
The Five Common Fracking Dangers
- Causes disruption and threat to the wild lands. The landscape that surrounds a drilling operation is affected and the quality of the landscape suffers creating a negative impact on the states concerned. Fracking dangerously alters the natural formation and quality of the treasured soil.
- Contributes greatly to the contamination of water and its natural resources. Fracking dangerously contribute and increase the chances of hazardous water pollution and making the water quality suffer a great deal. A great number of water wells were found out to contain high amounts of methane and other chemicals that eventually flow up to the household water tap. Aside from emissions of foul smell, it is found to have increased levels of radiation above drinking water standards.
- Widely contributed to air pollution due to the harmful substances released thru the air during industrial operations. There has been a great increase of toxic and carcinogenic release and is further linked to an increase in medical conditions concerning respiratory and neurological problems among its nearby residents.
- Recent studies have linked earthquake as another result of the dangers of fracking. The constant drilling and pumping into the ground and its underlying fractures may cause further seismic activity especially for earthquake prone areas.
- May affect wildlife animals who roam and unaware of the water they drink surrounding the industrial wells. It may interest hunters as well who hunts these wildlife animals that have drunk a contaminated water supply to be aware of the meat they hunt and eat. The contaminated water they drink may cause illness on this clueless animals leading to its own death. Fracking and its dangers can also take its toll in the great wild.
There are a large number of settlement networks who work out various legal issues involving the drilling industry. If you feel that you have been affected by the dangers of fracking you can file a case review form to determine if you are eligible to file claims.